“The road to success is not crowded. Because while most are looking for ways to take, the truly successful people are finding ways to give.” —unknown
Give your time as a Mission Hospice volunteer and make a lasting difference.
What is a Mission Hospice Volunteer?
They are people just like you! Mission Hospice volunteers come from all walks of life, age, ethnicity, faith, gender, sexual orientation, and professional backgrounds. Volunteers selflessly give of their time and talent to further Mission Hospice’s primary goal – enhancing quality of life for our patients and their loved ones by providing support during one of life’s most challenging seasons.
Areas of Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Patient Care – providing companionship to patients, much-needed breaks to caregivers, and assistance with errands.
- Vigil – providing a supportive presence during a patient’s final hours.
- Specialty Care – providing haircut, massage, notary, pet therapy, energy therapy, aromatherapy, reflexology, and other specialized services. Please note that appropriate credentials are required.
- Administrative – providing clerical and other assistance in our Mission Valley offices.
- Community Outreach – representing Mission Hospice at health fairs and other community events.
- Sewing – creating priceless memory bears and mini-quilts for families, using the clothing items of the loved one that passed away.
All applicants should possess the following qualities:
- Sincere desire to help
- Strong communication/listening skills
- Healthy boundaries
- Patient Care and Vigil Volunteers – 4 hours per week for a period of one year
- Specialty Care – 4 to 6 hours per month
- Administrative, Community Outreach, Sewing – Variable, depending on project/job-specific needs
Additional requirements include:
- Completion of necessary training
- Background check
- TB test (for roles involving patient contact)
- Paperwork and references
- Appropriate certification/licensure for specialty care volunteers
- Email address and internet access
- Attendance at volunteer meetings and education events
Our Promise to You
As a Mission Hospice volunteer, you will be appropriately prepared for your work and well supported. You will be valued and respected as an integral member of the Mission Hospice family, and you will have opportunities to make a lasting difference in the lives of others… and in your own.
Your application is the first step to becoming a Mission Hospice volunteer.
To complete our online application, Click Here.
To print an application and return it to our offices, Click Here to download. You may submit your completed application in one of the following ways:
Fax: (619) 814-4021
ATTN: Volunteer Resources
2365 Northside Drive, Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92108
Please feel free to contact Volunteer Resources at (619) 814-6026 with any questions you may have about volunteer opportunities.